Thursday, February 21, 2013

Outings

Sleeping Babes
The babies are almost two months already!  It's amazing to me how quickly, yet how slowly time goes by with little ones.  Part of me can't believe they are already so big, I am already putting away preemie clothes and pulling out 0-3 month ones.  The other part of me can believe that I have already had almost 2 months of interrupted sleep, days spent snuggled inside, getting in some me time whenever my hands are free.
I have finally begun to take the twins for outings.  The first was to my dad's for a birthday party for me at the end of January.  We timed everything just right:  they were fed and plopped into the car seat and whisked out to a warm car where they slept for the entire hour and a half.  I was in such shock of being out and about that I don't think I said two words the entire trip!  They did great at the party and I was even able to discretely tandem nurse in the living room when needed so I didn't have to be separated for the half hour to nurse them.  It was nice.
Their first outing
Their second trip was not as successful.  It was to the dreaded dmv!  My license had expired and they had a doctors appointment in the morning and the dmv was across the street.  This trip was not timed well.  The appointment was great but then they got hungry.  I had to nurse them in a side room and because it was so uncomfortable, I didn't get them the length of time to eat I normally do.  So they were plopped into the car seats where they promptly began fussing.  Then the car seats were attached to our stroller and into the dmv we went.  They of course started fussing again as soon as the stroller stopped moving and so then we both had to hold a baby while we waited in line.  Then of course I didn't have all the paperwork I needed so they were put back into the car where they began to scream!!  I ran back in while Scott drove around the parking lot!  Luckily I got my license and the babies finally fell asleep.

I have even started taking them by myself places!  I took Stella and the twins to my sister's son's birthday party.  The trip there was great-they slept the whole way.  They got held by everyone at the party and we stayed way too long.  I finally realized what time it was and put them in the car for the drive home.  They of course began to fuss because it was the witching hour.  I told myself, "If they don't stop in a half hour, I will pull over and see if nursing will work."  They did not stop.  So, into Hannaford parking lot I went, climbed into the back of the truck and tandem nursed in the parking lot!  They slept most of the way home.

Yesterday, I wanted to take Stella to her dance studio for a photo shoot they were having.  I completely timed the morning wrong and so all of a sudden it was time to go and Wren got her eating cut short, River got woken up to go and I loaded us all into the car.  They cried, but luckily it was only 10 minutes down the way.  I dropped Stella off and because there wasn't a parking spot at the studio I went across the street to the parking lot for the small marina there.  I was going to tandem nurse but there were a lot of fishermen around as well as a tractor that was removing snow so I had to nurse one at a time.  I was finally done and ready to head back to the studio when I heard the sound of babies pooping!  River and Wren both decided to leave two gigantic gifts in their cloth diapers of course!  I changed each one in the front seat trying hard not to get the orange gifts all over!!  Then it was back in the car seats and across the street we went.  Finally getting enough courage to try to bring them inside, I put on my Moby wrap and snuggled each one inside and we went inside!!  They did great and were very alert and interested in what was going on for a little bit and then they fell fast asleep.  I would say it was quite an adventure for the hour and half we were gone!!

Today, we went for a stroller ride and that went great and now they are actually sound asleep in two vibrating little chairs.

The adventures of being a mom!  Being a mom to twins brings different challenges for sure and I am slowly trying to figure them out and not become a recluse in the house as I watch them change and grow.  I have the tendency to do that, especially if I am by myself.  I am happy the cold weather gives me an excuse to snuggle inside and I am excited to see what the spring weather will bring us.

1 comment: