Dogs are a trend in my family. We have always had dogs, at least one all the time. I was given a dog as a "thank you for being born" present. Her name was Brandy, a beautiful golden retriever and we got to grow up together moving from the west to the east and all the wonderful houses in New England that we've lived. Sadly, she passed away many years ago. That led to a string of more beloved dogs through the years of all shapes, sizes and temperaments.
I got Napolean, a fawn pug who is about 10 or 11 years old at this point, but is still a vivacious puppy in his mind and in his physical ability. My mom gave him to me as a gift back in my freshman year of college. My second dog is a maybe 6 year old Boxer named Leila. I rescued her from a neighbor of mine when I lived in Newfields. I used to go walking almost every morning and would often see this sweet little boxer that would walk up to the store that I lived over with her owner. I had been doing research on what kind of dog that I wanted and had often landed on the boxer rescue site. I really wanted a big dog that I could exercise outside with. So, one day on the last leg of my walk I saw Leila's owner and asked where she was. He said that he was going to have to give her away because he wasn't allowed to have her at his apartment. I was so sad and pleaded to have her come live with me. Thinking, there is no way, he doesn't even really know me. But, luckily he did want her to come live with me. Under the guidelines that we would keep in contact so that his son, who was in high school, could still visit and take her out and about. I was all for it, but of course over time the high schooler grew up and forgot about little old Leila and so she was all mine.
The third dog is a new addition that I got two years ago at Thanksgiving. She is another boxer that we named Tellulah. Super cute, super puppy! She is a typical puppy right now-getting into all sorts of mischeif. Chewing all things not allowed-lots of plastic. Leila did the same thing when she was young. I will have to dig out the picture of Leila sitting on our couch that has been completely demolished-down to the bare bones-by her chewing.
So, I put it on the dogs yesterday. Well, I didn't I made Scott do it. He has been after me for a long time to get this thing because I need to show the dogs that I am the leader of the pack and that they are dogs and will always love me. So, he put it on Tellulah because she barks at silly things all the time when she is outside. I think it worked too. At first it wasn't tight enough and would go off to the side, but once we got it set up correctly-she barked once and stopped.
The next test was Leila inside the house because she barks at any noise that she thinks could be a visitor. We drove off and when we came back there was no barking from Leila! She did such a great job. Normally she will bark if you even bump your head into the wall when you sit on the couch because she thinks it is someone knocking or closing their car door. She didn't even do it.
I of course figured she was so traumatized that it was way too hard for me to have the collar on for too long. I took it off and she continued to no bark at funny noises, and her tail continued to wag as it always had, and she still loved me and gave me kisses.
This morning is the second day. I put it on Leila this morning before putting them in the back room for when the kiddos come. She normally will bark like crazy when she hears the kids cars pull in and it is so embarrassing and loud. They don't bark like all day long and are nice and quiet back there, unless they hear someone come over for drop off or pick up. So, she's back there and has barked maybe two times so again I think it is working! I know it is going to be hard through this learning process, but it will be better in the long run. It was nice to have a quiet house with no dog noises.
The plan is to have just the one collar because they are expensive and to put it on each dog in situations when they would normally bark. Lula outside and Leila inside and then we are going to make other collars that look like the corrective one so that they won't know which one is which and hopefully won't bark. I hope the plan works and they continue to love me. I figure if the ASPCA backs the electric fence as the best way to keep a dog in your yard, then they have to think this is okay too as it is the same thing.
Wish us all luck...
No comments:
Post a Comment